Non-Degree Programs（Research Students and Exchange Students）
- Admission Requirements
- Application Procedures
- Time of Admission
- Period of Registration
- List of Partner Universities
- Period of Study
- Types of Programs for Accepting Exchange Students
- Application Procedures for Exchange Students
Those who wish to study a specific subject of research at either undergraduate or graduate level may be admitted as a research student (Kenkyusei). A research student is not entitled to a Degree even upon completion of his/her research work. At Japanese universities, many applicants get admission as a research student first and prepare for an entrance examination to the graduate school.
1.Admission to Faculties or School (Bachelor's Programs)
(1) Those who have completed a 16-year course of school education overseas.
(2) Those who have graduated from a university/college in Japan after having completed 12 years of school education overseas.
(3) Those who have completed a 16-year course of school education overseas from correspondence education which is offered by a foreign institution in Japan.
2.Admission to Graduate Schools (Mater's Programs)
(1) Those who have obtained a master's degree in Japan.
(2) Those who have been awarded a degree equivalent to a master's degree by an overseas educational institution.
(3) Those who have been recognized by the graduate school concerned as being of academic ability equivalent or superior to those who have a master's degree.
3.Admission to Graduate Schools (Doctoral Programs)
(1) Those who have obtained a doctoral degree in Japan.
(2) Those who have been awarded a degree equivalent to a doctoral degree by an overseas educational institution.
(3) Those who have been evaluated by the graduate school as having academic capability equivalent or superior to a doctoral degree.
4.Admission to Educational and Research Institutes
For details, please contact the office of each educational and research institute. The admission requirements vary with the educational and research institute.
A student wishing to study as a research student, must submit the following documents to the faculty or department office concerned, after having been approved for admission by an prospective academic advisor usually, one of the professors whose academic research area completely or partially covers your academic interest.
The deadline for application may differ according to the faculty, school, graduate school or educational and research institute. For details, please ask the relevant faculty or department office.
It is necessary to complete the admission procedures well in advance, about 6 months before the starting day at Gifu University, because processing for entry into Japan requires a considerable amount of time.
(1) Application Form (prescribed form)
(2) Personal History (prescribed form)
(3) Certified academic records of each academic year of the last university/college attended
(4) Diploma or degree certificate of the last university/college attended
(5) Approval for applying to Gifu University from the present employer (if employed)
(6) Copy of Certificate of Residence obtained from the Japanese government local administrative office (only residents of Japan)
※Besides the documents above, you may need additional papers that your faculty/graduate school/research facility asks you to submit, thus please contact the administrative office of your faculty/graduate school/research facility.
For details about the method of selection, please contact the relevant faculty or department office.
Time of admission for research students is normally the beginning of each academic year or semester, that is in April and October.
A research student is basically admitted for the period from six months to one year (one or two semesters). The student may apply for an extension if it is necessary for the purpose of his/her study.
Please see the list of contact e-mail addresses (Faculty and Graduate Schools).
International students, whose institutions have a student exchange agreement with Gifu University, may be admitted as exchange students. Exchange students study at a faculty, school, graduate school or the International Student Center of Gifu University, remaining enrolled at their home institution.
For details on how to apply to come to Gifu University as an exchange student, please contact the person responsible for Exchange program at your university.
■In Japanese: List of Partner Universities
■In English: List of Partner Universities
Six months or one year
・From April to September
・From October to March
・From April to March
・From October to September
There are three programs from which you can choose in order to study at Gifu University as an exchange student.
1.Special Research Student (April-September, October-March)
2.Special Auditor (April-September, October-March)
3.Japanese Language and Culture Studies Course Student (October-August)
In deciding which program you want to enter, please consider carefully the purpose of your study and your Japanese language ability.
1.Special Research Students
Only graduate students can choose this program. You can research your topics at the graduate school and receive advice from a faculty supervisor. In general most classes are conducted in Japanese.
Undergraduate students and graduate students can become Special Auditors. If the student's Japanese ability is equivalent to N2 or higher on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, the students are required to be affiliated with one of the faculties, and study one academic field. They attend regular classes with Japanese students. Therefore, they must have the Japanese ability equivalent to N2 or higher on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. In addition to regular classes, they can take Japanese language classes that the International Student Center offers. If the student's Japanese ability is lower than N2 on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, the students are required to be affiliated with the International Student Center and study mainly Japanese language and culture. Students are placed to the most appropriate classes according to their Japanese ability.
3.Japanese Language and Culture Studies Course Students (with the Japanese ability equivalent to N2 or higher on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test)
The International Student Center provides a Japanese Language and Culture Studies Course. The aim of this program is to help you understand the language and culture of Japan.
Applicants for this program must satisfy all the following qualifications and conditions; 1) you must be regular students in an undergraduate program, 2) must be in the second year or above, 3) must be majoring or double-majoring in Japanese language and Japanese studies, and 4) must have passed the N2 Japanese Language Proficiency Test or demonstrate equivalent proficiency in Japanese. This course starts in October.
Special Research Students and Special Auditors
You can download the application forms from this page.
The deadlines for application to Gifu University are as follows;
April starters: Early in November
October starters: Early in April
Please note that the application should be filed via the relevant department of your home institution.
Japanese Language and Culture Studies Course Students
The application forms are sent to the specific partner institutions having an academic course which students are able to major in Japanese language and Japanese studies around the end of January, considering the student exchange agreement and the actual exchange. The deadline for application is early in April.
Note that the application should be filed via the relevant department of your home institution.
In accordance with the Agreement for an Exchange Program, Gifu University is currently seeking applications of privately financed international exchange students (special auditors, special research students) from our partner universities, who intend to study at Gifu University in 2018 and 2019.
Please download and fill out the following documents, submit them to your faculty officials who are responsible for student exchange programs before the deadline.
Please download Form A~E by clicking below.
Form A and D differ by Special Auditor and Special Research Student
2. Certificate of Eligibility (College Student) Application Form (FormB )
3. Financial Support Information Form (FormC )
4. Certificate of Deposit Balance
5. Questionnaire for Study/Proposed Study/at Gifu University Form, *Past Scholarly Achievements, *Letter of Recommendation by Academic Adviser (FormD-1 ) *Only graduate students or Questionnaire for Research at Gifu University/Past Scholarly Achievements/Proposed Research at Gifu University/Letter of Recommendation by Academic Adviser FormD-2 )
6. Letter of Reference by Japanese language Instructor (FormE )
7. Certificate of Enrollment from Home University
8. Certified Academic Transcript from Home University
9. Two full face photos (Width 3 cm(1.19'') x Height 4 cm(1.58''))
10. Copy of a passport
An applicant to be enrolled at Gifu University from April 2019: November 6, 2018
An applicant to be enrolled at Gifu University from October 2019: April 5, 2019
Please note that an application deadline for faculty officials of partner universities may be a little earlier than the above-mentioned deadline.
Each partner university is required to send all of the above-mentioned documents to the Inbound and Outbound Student Affairs Section, Gifu University by post before the deadline passes. Please note that Gifu University does not accept any applications that do not meet the above deadline, or those which are not properly completed. Please also note that all the submitted documents, once accepted, are not returned to the respective applicants/partner univeristies.
Gifu University informs its partner universities whether their applicants are accpeted or not by the following dates.
An applicant to be enrolled at Gifu University from April 2019: By the end of January, 2019
An applicant to be enrolled at Gifu University from October 2019: By the end of June, 2019
Inbound and Outbound Student Affairs Section, Head Office for Glocalization, Gifu University
1-1 Yanagido, Gifu City, Gifu, 501-1193, Japan
Summer School (Inbound)
Gifu University has hosted the Summer School Program every year since 1988 to provide a four-week Japanese culture experience for overseas partner university students wishing to learn Japanese language and culture. Participants are offered Japanese language classes as well as various culture experiences such as pottery-making, homestay and watching sumo bouts.
Summer School 2018 (Inbound) click here (Japanese only)
Please click the following for the reports of Summer School (Japanese only)
- Internal links
- Original sites
- External links
- File links