International Relations

Changing Status of Residence After Graduation

Japanese Web Page

International students who continue to stay in Japan after graduation must change their Status of Residence. Anyone engaging in an activity other than those permitted by his/her Status of Residence may be subject to punitive measures.

If employed in Japan after graduating

If employed in Japan after graduating it is necessary to make the appropriate change in your status of residence. Depending on the type of employment, the status may change to "Specialist in Humanities/International Services", "Skilled Labor", etc... The documents required vary depending on which status of residence is applied for. For more details, please contact the Immigration Bureau at your local ward or branch office.

When seeking employment in Japan after graduating

When seeking employment in Japan after graduating, it is necessary to change your status of residence to "Designated Activities" status. International students with this status are allowed to stay in Japan for 6 months (extendable up to 1 year) in order to keep looking for jobs in Japan. To enquire about your VISA application from "College Student" to "Designated Activities", Please contact your faculty office for more details.

If you have more questions about immigration procedures, please contact the Immigration bureau.

Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau Tel: 052-559-2150

Gifu Branch Office Tel: 058-214-6168

Detailed explanation of icons

  • Internal links
  • Original sites
  • External links
  • File links